We are a Baptist CHURCH in the middle of the Suffolk countryside.
We are an independent congregation of Christians that first gathered at Wattisham in 1763. Our purpose is to glorify and enjoy God - Father, Son and Holy Spirit - extolling and exemplifying the virtues of our Lord Jesus Christ within our church family, our local community and around the world. We hold to the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith in the Strict and Particular tradition.
Being a Christian means being in an intimate relationship with God by faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. This is impossible for us by nature as we are fallen creatures and thus destined to die. However, the extraordinary news of the Christian Gospel which we delight to proclaim is that Jesus Christ has opened the way back to God, offering forgiveness to all those who put their trust in His death and resurrection.
The eternal Son of God became a real man, living the perfect life we should have lived. Jesus offered Himself as a perfect sacrifice, dying on the Cross to atone for our sin. He rose again gloriously, destroying death, and ascended triumphantly to Heaven where He ever lives. All those that repent and believe in Him, depending exclusively on His finished work for salvation, will know the eternal life, light and love of union with Him.
0945 am Sunday School. See below.
1000 am Prayer Meeting
1045 am Morning Worship
0630 pm Evening Worship
0730 pm Prayer Meeting & Bible Study
what to expect at our meetings
Our meetings are simple, uplifting and traditional; we worship reverently as God is high and holy, joyfully as Christ has made peace with God for us, and heartily as we love God and owe Him everything. Meetings typically last for 1h15 and include a Bible reading, prayers, singing and a sermon of 30-45mins. The King James Version of the Bible is used at every service and we sing both Psalms and hymns. People tend to dress smartly and most women wear a head-covering, but do feel free to come as you wish. You can be assured of a warm welcome!
The Sunday School for children aged 4-12 meets every Sunday morning at 0945am in the School Room (see map below).
Your child would be most welcome to join us in order to meet other children and learn Bible stories.
The Chapel can be found at IP7 7LD. If you lack a navigation device, please pay close attention to the directions below; many unfortunate visitors have found themselves wandering fruitlessly around the surrounding lanes.
From A14 Eastbound (J47A) / Woolpit / Elmswell
- Follow signs to Buxhall; from A14 J47A (Wetherden) take the first right turn to Buxhall.
- Entering Onehouse, ignoring the first right-hand junction, take the second right (Signpost: "Buxhall", "Gt Finborough").
- Continue through Buxhall to Great Finborough and at the T-junction, turn right on the B1115 towards Hitcham.
- Continue following the adjacent instructions...
From A14 (J50) / Stowmarket / Great Finborough on the B1115
- Passing the Hitcham village sign, take the first left by the grey house into Wattisham Road (Signpost: "Wattisham, Needham Market").
- Continue on this road, ignoring first a left-hand junction and then a right-hand juction.
- The Chapel is on a sharp left-hand bend with the car park opposite.
- Please proceed with caution as you approach the Chapel.
From A12 (J31) / Hadleigh / Bildeston on the B1115
- Turn off Bildeston High Street just after the village square into Wattisham Road (opposite Squirrells Mill Rd).
- Continue on this road, entering Wattisham village (approx. 2.5 miles).
- You will head straight on past two right-hand junctions. At the first, a no through road, take the sharp left-hand bend. At the second, shortly after, continue straight towards Hitcham.
- You will see the Chapel ahead. The car park precedes it on the left.
WATTISHAM CHAPEL | hitcham road | wattisham | suffolk | england | IP7 7LD
map of the chapel estate
3 Female WC
4 Male WC
5 School Room / Church Hall
6 Car Park
7 DISABLED CAR PARK
- There is ramp access to the Chapel and School Room.
- Disabled parking spaces can be found adjacent to the Chapel (see map above)
- An Audio Loop system is available in both buildings.
being justified by faith we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ
All of Grace by Janet Lovell
A few years ago Wattisham Baptist Chapel commissioned one of their members, Janet Lovell, to research and record a history of the Church from its founding in 1763 to the present day. No previous research or written work had been done so Mrs Lovell had to sift through minute books, magazine articles and archive materials - a massive task! The result was this worthy history entitled “All of Grace” which was first made available at the 250th Anniversary services on March 9th 2013.
Reactions from those who have read it include comments about its readability, the reverent style, suitable inclusions, judicial exclusions and the inspiring accounts of faithfulness under difficult circumstances.
Perhaps the most inspiring aspect of this history is the reflection (p154) that “Throughout its existence there has been no deviation from the original Articles of Faith, founded upon what it believed to be the order of sound scriptural doctrine. The doctrines of God’s sovereign, unmerited grace to sinful, undeserving humankind, have been unceasingly preached.” These Articles of Faith can be read on the "Who We Are" page of this website.
Not only does “All of Grace” track the Lord’s gracious leading and keeping through 250 years, it also provides a window into local and national history as it is reflected in the lives of the members of this rural church. Struggles with poverty, times of revival, a nation at war and rapid changes in society during the 20th and 21st centuries are all reflected in the life of Wattisham Baptist Church.
“All of Grace” is available to purchase at just £4 per copy (plus postage and packing £1.70). Please use the Contact form below to request a copy.
Scenes Old and New and Sayings Ever True by Ray Chaplin
This most recent publication by Ray Chaplin includes beautiful pictures celebrating God’s creation plus poems, prayers, meditations and testimony.
If you wish to purchase, contact us using the form below.